-“I was literally 3 years old when I started drawing. I did it all my life, through primary school, secondary school, all my life. I always always wanted to be a designer. I read books on fashion from the age of twelve. I followed the designer’s careers. I knew Giorgio Armani was a window-dresser, Emanuel Ungaro was a tailor”
-“I feel more Scottish than Norman”
-“Fashion should be a form of escapism, and not a form of imprisonment”
– “I’m not big on women looking naive”
-” When you see a woman wearing McQueen, there’s a certain hardness to the clothes that makes her look powerful. It kind of fends people off”.
-“I oscillate between life and death, happiness and sadness, good and evil.”
-“I’m Not Interested In Being Liked”.
-“I Want People To Be Afraid Of The Women I Dress.”
-“When we put the antlers on the model and then draped over it the lace embroidery that we had made, we had to poke them through a £2,000 piece of work. But then it worked because it looks like she’s rammed the piece of lace with her antlers. There’s always spontaneity. You’ve got to allow for that in my shows”.
– “Style is not about the clothes, it’s about the individual”.
– “The explosion of museum exhibitions is only a mirror image of what has happened to fashion itself this millennium. With the force of technology, instant images, and global participation, fashion has developed from being a passion for a few to a fascination – and entertainment – for everybody”.
-“I don’t want to do a cocktail party. I’d rather people left my shows and vomited”.
– “I’m mad in the front of my mind, but business-minded in the back”.
– ” I just want to be a wallflower. Nondescript. Just not anything. I don’t want to see me”.
-“There are only a handful of designers that influence other designers, and I have to keep one step ahead of the game”.
Though success and wealth were abundant in the first decade of the 21st century, it wasn’t enough to banish the specter of death that had come to shadow McQueen. In 2007 he was deeply affected by the suicide of close friend Blow. Two years later his mother died. One day before her funeral, on February 11, 2010, McQueen was found dead in his Mayfair, London apartment. The cause of death was determined to be suicide.
– “When I’m dead and gone, people will know that the twenty-first century was started by Alexander McQueen.”